If you run a business, you probably need to store things. Depending on the type of business you run (and where you run it from), that could be anything from a laptop, notebook and pen, to boxes and boxes of inventory, files and equipment. For many fledgeling businesses, storage is an unexpected hurdle to find a way over, and the issue usually only gets worse over time.
One of the most common solutions for businesses who need more space is to rent a self-storage unit from a local centre. But that can also (understandably) cause some concerns, which is why we wanted to go through some of the pros and cons of using self storage for your business, and what you might need to consider.
Cons to Busines Self Storage
- Things can be difficult to find: If you’re not an organised person, then it can be difficult to find things inside a self-storage unit. Because it’s literally 4 walls, ceiling and floor, you have no racking or other storage solutions. And while you can buy them, many businesses just use stackable boxes and sticky labels. Which is great in the beginning, but it can leave you struggling to find things when you need them. Unless you create some form of inventory system.
- Not everything can be stored: Self-storage facilities don’t allow you to just throw anything and everything into a unit. There are rules in place. For example, you aren’t allowed to store things like hazardous materials, unregistered vehicles, weapons, perishables, live animals, chemicals or plants. This might not be an issue, but if your business uses any of these things and needs to store them, then you might need a different solution.
- Expense: Of course, renting a storage unit does come with some cost. And even though that might be a very low, reasonable cost, for some businesses it can be difficult to justify. And the bigger the space you need, the more it will cost. The silver lining to this con is that even though it can be costly, it’s often still cheaper then renting an office!
Pros to Busines Self Storage
We’re firm believers in ending on a positive note, so we’ll round up this blog with some of the advantages of using a self-storage unit for your business, including:
- Variety of size options: The biggest selling point of self storage is the variety. Every storage centre will have a huge range of storage units available in all sorts of shapes and sizes – so you will almost always be able to find the right option for you. Most centres (including us) have units ranging from the size of a locker, up to the size of a double garage, and everything in between.
- Flexibility: Self storage is designed to be as flexible as your business needs it to be. So if you need storage space for a short period of time, it’s the perfect solution. Most contracts are done on a week-by-week basis, so you can stay as long as you need to, and leave with almost no notice, without having to pay for storage you no longer need.
- Easy access: If you need easy, quick, and sometimes 24 hour access to your stored items, self storage is a good place to look. Most facilities will allow you inside using a key or entry code, and only you have to code or key to access your unit. All self storage centres have long hours, and many even allow you 24/7 access.
- Security: Self storage facilities come with their own built-in security features, so you can always be confident your stored items are safe from harm and theft. From controlled access, CCTV and unique locks, to security guards, you can choose your facility based on the level of security required.
At Blue Box Self Storage, we are always happy to talk through your storage needs, and help you work out if self storage is the right option for you. We can help you choose the right size of unit for what you need, and even show you around some options to you can be confident in your decision. If you would like to know more, just get in touch with us today.